Home
Home - S.E. Somerset

Somerset Records
Blackmore Vale


Census Records
1841 -- 1851
1861 -- 1871
1881 -- 1891

Parish Registers
Information
Baptisms
1558 to 1700
1701 to 1900
Burials
1558 to 1700
1700 to 1900
Marriages
1600 to 1744
1745 to 1900

Other Information
List -
PCC Wills
Population

Trade Directories
1889 - Kellys
1897 - Kellys
1902 - Kellys

Electoral Rolls
1904

Offsite Information
History
Parish Map


North Cheriton lies in the northern part of the Horethorne hundred, Eastern division of the County and is near Wincanton. This parish is bounded by the parishes of Holton and Maperton to the North, Wincanton to the East, Horsington to the South and Charlton Horethorne to the West. At one time this parish also included the detached hamlet of Lattiford which for civil purposes was amalgamated with Holton towards the end of the 19th Century.

A small parish of about 727 acres which is mainly meadow and pasture. The parish church is dedicated to St John the baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 4 bells. The church was restored and enlarged in 1878. The Parish Register dates from 1558.


From 1889 Kelly's Directory.

North Cheriton is a parish, 3 miles north west from Temple Coombe station on the Salisbury and Yeovil section of the London and South Western railway, and 3 miles south west from Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset Junction railway, in the Eastern division of the County, Horethorne Hundred, Wincanton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Milborne Port, archdeaconry of Wells and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St John the baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 4 bells. The church was restored and enlarged in 1878 at a cost of #830, when an ancient oak screen of 15th century date, purchased by the late Frederick Gale Esq: (ob. 1877), was restored and fitted within the chancel arch by his daughters. The chancel and organ chamber were erected in 1886, at a cost of #620. The curved oak pulpit is dated 1633, and the east window is stained ..............
.................... A small cemetery was consecrated here in 1893. The charities amounting to about #6 yearly, are distributed by the parish council. John Weston Peters Gale esq: who is lord of the manor, and Thomas Henry Methuen Bailward esq: of Horsington Manor, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey and sandy loam, the subsoil is clay and gravel..............



search tips advanced search
search engine by free find

Copyright 2001-2015 West Country Genealogy