Home
Home - S.E. Somerset

Somerset Records
Blackmore Vale


Census Records
1841 -- 1851

Parish Registers
Information
Baptisms
Burials
Marriages

Other Information
List -
PCC Wills
Population

Trade Directories
1889 - Kellys
1897 - Kellys
1902 - Kellys

Electoral Rolls

Offsite Information
History
Cucklington Rectors
Parish Map

click for larger photo
Royal Arms



Photo's kindly supplied by Hazel & Vic Gott - (click any photo for a larger version)

Cucklington is a village and parish, situated on the side of a hill, and lies on the South East edge of the Hundred and County on the Dorset border. The village is 3 miles east from Wincanton. The parish Boundaries are shared with Wincanton to the west, Stoke Trister to the North West, Penselwood to the North. Then around to the eastern side with Gillingham and Buckhorn Western in Dorset. The parish is in the the Eastern Division of the County, Norton Ferris hundred, Wincanton petty sessional division, union and county court district, Bruton district of the rural deanery of Castle Cary, archdeaconry of Wells and diocese of Bath and Wells. The area the parish covers is about 1,706 acres.

click for larger photo

The following description was made by the Rev'd J Collinsonin 1791 - To the Southeast of Stoke Trister lies Cucklington, situated on high ground, on the top of a north slope of a steep and lofty ridge, called Clay Hill, which in this part is the boundary of the counties of Somerset and Dorset. From the top of this hill, and from the parish church yard, to the south and west, the prospect is very extensive, rich, and beautiful. The whole number of houses in this parish is fortyseven, and of inhabitants two hundred and fifty. Fortytwo of these houses form an irregular straggling street near the church, the rest stand singly. There are several fine springs on the street side, the lands are mostly arable, the soil under the hill a wet cold clay.


Parish Church

click for larger photo

click for larger photo

click for larger photo

The church itself is dedicated to St Lawrence and is an ancient building of stone, built in the Early English style. It consists of chancel with a north chapel, nave with north aisle, also a south chapel and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells above a porch. The Parish Register dates from 1555. For more information about the church and history of the Parish, follow the "history" link in the panel to the left.

Population

The population in the Parish did vary during the 19th century, rising then falling back, then rising again slightly, before the gradual decline set in that is common to many rural communities from the early 20th century. By 1991 the population had fallen to 173. - The following figures are mainly from census records.

1801 - 308 1861 - 145 male, 135 female = 280
1811 - 1871 - 133 male, 140 female = 273
1821 - 1881 - 135 male, 134 female = 269
1831 - 1891 - 136 male, 154 female = 290
1841 - 131 male, 164 female = 295 1901 - 112 male, 127 female = 239
1851 - 175 male, 181 female = 356  

search tips advanced search
search engine by free find

Copyright 2001-2015 West Country Genealogy